RailWorks Construction Field Engineer Intern in Effingham, Illinois
Construction Field Engineer Intern
Apply now »
Date:Jan 14, 2022
Location: Effingham, IL, US
Job ID: 11604
This summer internship requires full time travel
Candidates will ideally be based in southern IL or surrounding areas or states.
RailWorks is a growing enterprise that works on some of the most prominent and complex rail transportation projects in North America. We seek capable, motivated college students who are interested in jumpstarting their careers by gaining real-world construction industry experience.
The RailWorks Internship program is open to full time college/university students, in their sophomore, junior or senior years, pursuing a bachelor’s degree and enrolled in an accredited program focusing on the rail construction and maintenance fields. The areas of civil, mechanical, electrical and/or project management engineering provide an excellent background for the internship program.
To properly understand how construction/maintenance works, interns will work with project team to take part in, first hand, the actual construction experience, work with construction equipment and assist with duties such as material ordering and handling, and become familiar with drawings, charts and construction terminology.
Field Engineer Intern will contribute to the project team in Secaucus, NJ for transit projects. As assignment to work in one or several areas such as project management, drafting, order/material management, contracts, and safety.
The internship program is generally 12 to 16 weeks in length, depending upon available projects and the time commitment available from the intern. Project assignments include railroad, industrial and rail transit project sites across North America.
General/Other Responsibilities and Duties
· Assists Project Managers with technical compliance and oversight of construction activities.
· Assists to Field Superintendents for documenting daily and weekly progress reports.
· Supports and enforces Quality and Safety plans and procedures, assures conformance to company guidelines and practices.
· Reads and interprets drawings, blueprints, specifications, and related technical documents.
· Conduct field surveys and correlations taking precise measurements and making detailed technical sketches.
· Attending and documenting site visits.
· Contacting and coordinating with Suppliers and Subcontractors.
· Create and submit various Submittals, RFI’s, and shop drawings.
· Conduct material takeoffs.
· Support project bids conducting technical reviews of contract documents and specifications, completing take-offs, attending site walks and pre-bid meetings.
· Performs other duties as required.
Required Skills and Qualifications
· A full-time college/university student pursuing a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, construction management or a similar disciple and/or enrolled in an accredited program focusing on the railroad/construction/maintenance fields.
· Must be a student in a good standing with their college/university. Minimum GPA of 3.0
· Ability to multi-task and prioritize in an environment where numerous tasks and projects occur simultaneously and continually change.
· Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
· Excellent interpersonal skills with the desire and ability to work will all levels of the organization.
· Approach assignments with enthusiasm.
· Be able to work independently and as a member of a team.
· Experience using common software and proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills.
· Have a sincere desire to gain experience in and knowledge of the company and industry.
· Legally able to work in the United States.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
· Works outdoors at construction sites
· Performs physical activities that require considerable use of the arms and legs and moving the whole body, such as standing, climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, bending and handling of materials, equipment and tools
· Uses hands and fingers to grasp, manipulate, and/or assemble objects and tools
· Lifts, pushes, pulls, and carries heavy objects, machinery, and tools up to 50 pounds
· Exposed to harsh weather conditions including very hot and very cold weather
· Exposed to loud noise
· May be exposed to live track/trains and high voltage
· Must wear appropriate safety equipment, such as safety glasses, safety boots, hard hats, and hearing protection, as required by the company
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties as assigned.
RailWorks Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment with RailWorks without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.
- RailWorks Jobs