Girl Scouts of America Communications Specialist in Houston, Texas
Girl Scouts Of San Jacinto Council
Job Location: TX - Houston
Salary Range: To Be Determined
Employment Type: Full-Time (Regular)
Job #: 6243
Post Date: 7/11/2019
For more than 100 years, Girl Scouts has helped girls develop the skills and confidence they need to succeed in every area of life. From the youngest Girl Scout to our graduating high school seniors, we believe in the power of every G.I.R.L (Go-getter, Innovator, Risk-taker, and Leader). Through our programming, girls are exposed to a vast array of educational topics such as the arts, entrepreneurship, the outdoors and STEM. In Girl Scouts, girls learn what it takes to be a leader. The leadership program for girls is based on the Girl Scout Leadership Experience model, which allows girls to discover a positive value system and a strong sense of self, connect with others, build healthy relationships, identify causes that are meaningful, and take action to make the world a better place.
The Communications Specialist position provides support through communications and marketing (i.e. press releases, social media, graphics and advertising) within the framework of Council policies, standards, goals, objectives, and budget. This position supports the Council’s participation in national brand initiatives and marketing campaigns to locally advance the brand and support strategic objectives. Identify campaign target audiences and assist in the development of messaging for Council-wide implementation. Research marketing and advertising opportunities and keep up-to-date on industry data and trends. This position reports to the Communications Director and does not have direct reports.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following and other duties as assigned:
• Under the supervision and guidance of the Communications director, develop, implement and track communications and marketing plans, strategies and campaigns to advance the goals and objectives of GSSJC.
• Initiate and manage marketing projects - in collaboration with appropriate staff within the department e-newsletters or email and Social Media.
• Develop project timelines and ensures deadlines are met.
• Research marketing opportunities and keep up to date on industry data and trends; track competition and maintain an archive of marketing collateral
• Manage social media channels, including optimization and populating with relevant current content.
• Assist Communications director in preparing press releases announcing Gold Award Girl Scouts, promotions and other newsworthy items.
• Assist Communications Director with local implementation of national campaigns and ensure departmental access to toolkits and resources; attend GSUSA webinars and distribute information appropriately within the department.
• Write copy and promotional articles and coordinate placement with graphics designer.
• Serve as staff liaison of appropriate Council committees related to communications with Director - Marketing/Communications.
• Assist Communications Director with Council’s community relations; coordinate Council presence at identified community events; represent Council within the community as needed.
• Assist in the development of annual advertising budget and long-term strategic plan.
• Support Council programs, initiatives and projects that advance the Council brand, as assigned.
• Serve as back-up for photography.
• Embrace and promote pluralism as an integral part of every activity and plan of Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council.
• Maintain Girl Scout uniform and GSUSA membership.
• Work collaboratively on council initiatives.
• Support a culture of philanthropy and consider a personal gift to GSSJC and United Way.
• Participate in conferences and staff meetings.
EOE/Committed to Diversity
• Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university with emphasis in public relations, journalism, advertising, communication, or related field; or comparable work experience with three to five years’ marketing strategies and planning experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook); InDesign, Illustrator and or Photoshop; Social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, SnapChat and YouTube); computer and office equipment, including printer, scanner, mouse, fax machine, telephone, calculator, copier and other miscellaneous office, art and multimedia equipment and tools, hand-held camera for still photography and video recording.
• Valid Texas driver’s license, proof of insurance, and access to personal transportation on a daily basis.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive salary and extensive benefits package and future growth opportunities within the company. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning, and culture.
Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council is a pluralistic movement, committed to understanding our similarities and differences, building relationships and promoting a dialogue of acceptance and respect. Each individual involved must uphold the tenet that Girl Scouting is for all girls.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For more information, please contact the council directly.
How to Apply
To apply, please visit http://ejob.bz/ATS/CompanyPortal.do?refresh=true&companyGK=25291&portalGK=12091
Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council
3110 Southwest FreewayHouston, TX 77098
Fax #: 713-292-0350
Web Site: http://www.gssjc.org