Hy-Vee Food Stores Produce Assistant Manager - Full Time in Maple Grove, Minnesota
Job Title: Assistant Produce Manager FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Produce Revision Date: 03/2009
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Assists Department Manager to present the freshest most innovative and best quality products at a competitive retail price to customers.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director; Assistant Store Director; Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations; Assistant Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations; Assistant Managers, Produce Manager
Direct Reports: Produce Clerks, Salad Bar Clerks
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible.
Assists customers by: (examples include)
· escorting them to the products they're looking for
· securing products that are out of reach
· loading or unloading heavy items
· making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
· performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call.
Ensures department standards are met.
Coordinates and trouble shoots food operation with the salad bar/juice bar area.
Reviews the status and appearance of product for freshness and rotates or replenishes.
Monitors refrigeration temperatures to ensure freshness.
Sets and resets sales areas to promote products to customers.
Stays current in the produce related issues (droughts, price jumps, weather, etc.)
Prices product and is aware of department pricing philosophy.
Handles and satisfies customer and vendor issues on a daily basis.
Assists with inventory.
Understands all produce items and can inform customers of its uses.
Unloads product, checks product in, verifies accuracy of delivery, and may log invoices.
Trains new employees.
Understands and practices proper sanitation procedures and ensures the work area is always clean and neat, and maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
Assumes management duties in absence of Department Manager.
Orders product at Produce Managers discretion.
Assists with all aspects of the fruit and holiday basket program.
Stocks aisles and evaluates product amount, breaks down pallets, re-stacks cooler at days end, transports product to the aisle.
Assists in other areas of store as needed.
Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
Instructs, assigns, reviews and plans work of others. Maintains standards, coordinates activities, and allocates personnel.
Education and Experience:
High school or equivalent experience with food safety training courses encouraged. Over one year of similar or related experience.
· Must be physically able to exert up to 100 pounds of force (energy exerted) occasionally; exert up to 50 pounds of force frequently; and exert up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
· Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception, color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), and field of vision.
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
· Must have the ability to solve practical problems; variety of variables with limited standardization; interpret instructions.
· Ability to do arithmetic calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages.
· Must have the ability to file, post, and mail materials; copy data from one record to another; interview to obtain basic information; guide people and provide basic direction.
This position is frequently exposed to a cool environment and dampness. There are possible equipment movement hazards from a pallet jack, electrical shock, and exposure to cleaning chemicals and solvents. This is a fast paced work environment.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Knives, wrapping machine, pallet jacks, garbage disposal, fork lift, trash compactor, cardboard compactor, juice machine, computer, calculator, Telexon ordering unit, and C.A.R.S. system.
Has access to confidential information including pricing and sales.
Has daily contact with customers, suppliers/vendors, and the general public. Has occasional contact with federal/state governmental or regulatory agencies for inspections.