Vanderbilt University Medical Center Ortho Surgery Manager in Nashville, Tennessee
Ortho Surgery Manager - 2110411
Job : Nurse Management/Administration
Primary Location : TN-Nashville-Vanderbilt Hospital (VUH)
Organization : VUH Periop OR/Holding Admin 201567
Shift: : Second Shift
Welcome to Perioperative Services
Perioperative Services is a dynamic department with over 800 employees, 60 Adult Operating Rooms as well as 19 Pediatric Operating Rooms in Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital!
As part of the Vanderbilt University Medical Center , our employees participate in the implementation of cutting-edge surgical technology and assist in the latest procedures. Our services range from organ transplants, joint replacements, and minimally invasive cardio-thoracic/vascular surgery, to reconstructive plastic surgery. Services are offered on-site and at our various off-site specialty facilities.
Perioperative Services encompasses the entire surgical experience. Our goal is to provide the best possible patient surgical care as we continually strive to be the Perioperative Center of Excellence in the Southeastern United States.
The Manager, Patient Care Services is a leadership role that has comprehensive operational authority and responsibility for designated clinical area(s). Their responsibilities include: fiscal accountability, maintaining quality and regulatory standards, maintaining a high level of patient/family centered care and service, patient and staff satisfaction, program development, managing and developing teams, and ensuring integration with the clinical enterprise. Provides feedback, coaching and mentoring to less experienced peers and other members of the health care team.
Collaborates to operationalize the mission, strategic plan, budgets, resource allocation, operational plans, and policies for the PCC, Hospitals and Vanderbilt Clinic.
Prepares annual operating and capital budgets following established guidelines and using benchmark data.
Develops and monitors the implementation of area specific quality plan linked to organizational goals.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
LEADERSHIP - (INTERMEDIATE): - Motivates and inspires others to perform at a high level. Puts aside personal needs and considerations for the good of the team. Communicates in a positive and constructive way, demonstrating an enthusiasm for team and unit goals. Takes appropriate risks, showing and accepting personal accountability for actions and decisions. Gets others to share challenges and perform as a valuable member of the team and unit. Accomplishes results through influence, coaching, communication and commitment with minimal use of authority and control.
OPERATIONS PLANNING - (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates ability to forecast complex resource needs, identify discrete tasks, set priorities, define dependencies, schedule activities, meet deadlines, and organize work for a single functional area. Merges diverse points of view into a coalition with shared goals and objectives. Plans for and anticipates events outside of immediate responsibility. Identifies relevant stakeholders and gains their commitment. Anticipates problems and obstacles before they arise. Able to absorb changes to major assignments while maintaining a high level of performance. Competently handles multiple assignments and projects simultaneously. Sets priorities with a proper sense of urgency and importance. Develops creative ideas and takes innovative action to achieve planned goals and objectives.
PEOPLE MANAGEMENT - (INTERMEDIATE): - Successfully resolves conflicts and disciplinary problems. Provides counseling and career development planning to subordinates. Constructively gives timely positive and negative feedback, confronting individual performance problems in a professional and sensitive manner. Aware of the values, abilities and needs of others. Demonstrates the ability to create a positive work climate, establishing a feeling of partnership and empowering others. Has set, coached and assessed the assignment objectives of subordinates. Practices and rewards behaviors supportive of company values.
COMPLIANCE - (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates knowledge of the appropriate rules and regulations and apply them in difficult, stressful and complex situations. Able to interpret and explain rules and regulations that are ambiguous or unclear. Directs others in interpreting rules and regulations on the job and trains others in them.
BUSINESS RESULTS - (NOVICE): - Develops and implements appropriate measures for attaining well-defined business results and tracks progress in meeting goals and objectives. Continuously demonstrates a strong focus on quality in spite of pressures from competition, budgets, and time. Anticipates and responds effectively to customer needs. Sensitive to changes in the environment which may impact customer satisfaction, product quality, or profitability. Able to specify clear, precise personal objectives.
QUALITY MANAGEMENT - (NOVICE): - Has provided continuous analysis and evaluation of assignment work processes, constantly striving for improvement in the way tasks and activities are accomplished by questioning their value to the process and contributing creative solutions. Has participated in the process of establishing, communicating and monitoring standards for quality and excellence. Demonstrates the ability to actually work on and improve a current business process, product or service.
Organizational Impact: Directs activities to achieve operational plans with some near term effect on results of the department/area.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Identifies issues, gathers facts to resolve technical and operational problems.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies in-depth knowledge and skills of a professional/technical area and basic management knowledge to manage the work of the team.
Team Interaction: Leads a complex department with a focus on implementation. Typically executes on a short to medium term strategies.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (M2):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (M2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (M2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (M2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (M2):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Other : 1. Nursing degree required. Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) or Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), or Doctorate in nursing. 2. Masters degree or higher education required. 3. If nursing degree at Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) level, then masters can be non-nursing degree. and 5 years relevant experience
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
- Registered Nurse Required
Physical Requirements/Strengths needed & Physical Demands:
- Medium Work category requiring exertion up to 50lbs of force occasionally and/or up to 20 of force frequently and/or up to 10 of force continually to move objects.
Occasional: Standing: Remaining on one's feet without moving.
Occasional: Walking: Moving about on foot.
Occasional: Lifting under 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects under 35 lbs from one level to another
Occasional: Lifting over 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects from one level to another, includes upward pulling over 35 lbs, with help of coworkers or assistive device
Occasional: Carrying under 35 lbs: Transporting an object holding in hands, arms or shoulders, with help of coworkers or assistive device.
Occasional: Push/Pull: Exerting force to move objects away from or toward.
Occasional: Bending/Stooping: Trunk bending downward and forward by bending spine at waist requiring full use of lower extremities and back muscles
Occasional: Balancing: Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching or maneuvering self, patient and equipment simultaneously while working in large and small spaces
Occasional: Climbing: Ascending or descending stairs/ramps using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
Occasional: Kneeling:Bending legs at knees to come to rest on knee or knees.
Occasional: Crouching/Squatting: Bending body downward and forward by bending legs and spine.Reaching above shoulders: Extending arms in any direction above shoulders.
Occasional: Reaching above shoulders: Extending arms in any direction above shoulders.
Occasional: Reaching below shoulders: Extending arms in any direction below shoulders.
Occasional: Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning or otherwise working with hand or hands.
Occasional: Bimanual Dexterity: Requiring the use of both hands.
Frequent: Sitting: Remaining in seated position
Frequent: Fingering: Picking, pinching, gripping, working primarily with fingers requiring fine manipulation.
Frequent: Communication: Expressing or exchanging written/verbal/electronic information.
Continuous: Auditory: Perceiving the variances of sounds, tones and pitches and able to focus on single source of auditory information
Continuous: Vision: Clarity of near vision at 20 inches or less and far vision at 20 feet or more with depth perception, peripheral vision, color vision.
Continuous: Smell: Ability to detect and identify odors.
Continuous: Feeling: Ability to perceive size, shape, temperature, texture by touch with fingertips.
Occasional: Chemicals and Gasses: Medications, cleaning chemicals, oxygen, other medical gases used in work area.
Occasional: Pathogens: Risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens and other contagious illnesses.
Req ID: 2110411
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center Jobs