Vanderbilt University Medical Center Research Assistant 1 - Genetic Medicine in Nashville, Tennessee
Research Assistant 1 - Genetic Medicine - 2210622
Job : Research
Primary Location : TN-Nashville-Robinson Research
Organization : Genetic Medicine 104353
Shift: : Days
Research Assistant I - Genetic Medicine
Provide, under direct supervision, support for specified research projects; collect, assess, and communicate data/results. Assist in general laboratory operation and inventory.
Under supervision, run experiments, assays, and record results
Read and follow experimental protocols (May include animal handling, tissue culture, etc.)
Compile and communicate results to supervisor
Follow University safety protocols (may include use of combustibles, radioactivity, toxic material, and/or carcinogenics)
Perform calculations involving molarity, % solutions, and serial dilutions
Prepare and operate equipment in experimental procedures
May include blood gas analyzer, centrifuge, pH meter, spectrophotometer, autoclave, scintillation counter, electrophoresis unit, analytical balance, etc.
Maintain and repair equipment according to manufacturer and university guidelines.
Ensure Laboratory is prepared for experiments
Maintain sterile conditions as required
The Division of Genetic Medicine is established to host both research and clinical research programs focused on the genetic basis of health and disease. The division provides an academic environment enabling researchers to explore new relationships between disease susceptibility and human genetics.
View how Vanderbilt Health employees celebrate the difference they make every day:
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt’s mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
· US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children’s Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
· Healthcare’s Most Wired: Among the nation’s 100 “most-wired” hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
· Becker’s Hospital Review: named as one of the “100 Great Hospitals in America”, in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
· The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children’s hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
· American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
· Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
· National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
· Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6 th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent experience) and < 1 year experience
Physical Requirements/Strengths needed & Physical Demands: Movement
Occasional: Sitting: Remaining in seated position
Occasional: Standing: Remaining on one's feet without moving.
Occasional: Walking: Moving about on foot.
Occasional: Lifting under 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects under 35 lbs from one level to another
Occasional: Push/Pull: Exerting force to move objects away from or toward.
Occasional: Bending/Stooping: Trunk bending downward and forward by bending spine at waist requiring full use of lower extremities and back muscles
Occasional: Crawling:Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet.
Occasional: Reaching below shoulders: Extending arms in any direction below shoulders.
Occasional: Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning or otherwise working with hand or hands. Sensory
Occasional: Vision: Clarity of near vision at 20 inches or less and far vision at 20 feet or more with depth perception, peripheral vision, color vision.
Occasional: Noise: May include exposure to occupational noise levels which equal or exceed an 8-hr time-weighted average of 85 decibels, requiring enrollment in VUMC's Hearing Conservation Program which includes training, use of hearing protection, and periodic audiometry.
Continuous: Communication: Expressing or exchanging written/verbal/electronic information. Environmental Conditions
Occasional: Chemicals and Gasses: Medications, cleaning chemicals, oxygen, other medical gases used in work area.
Occasional: Pathogens: Risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens and other contagious illnesses.
Occasional: Radiation: May be exposed to occupational radiation, requiring enrollment in VUMC's Radiation Safety Program which includes training, use of personal protective equipment with lead shielding, and personal dose monitoring.
Occasional: Climate: Ability to withstand exposure to atmospheric extremes including heat, cold, humidity, and barometric pressure changes.
Req ID: 2210622
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center Jobs