Northwell Health Perioperative Assistant in New Hyde Park, New York
Req Number 51850
Assists in the preparation of the Operating Room prior to surgical procedures. Cleans and maintains Operating Room and perioperative areas. Ensures adequate inventory of supplies.
- Assists staff in preparation of operating room prior to and during surgery.
- Sets-up IV stands and positions lights, tables, suction machines and cautery, as directed.
- Prepares and ensures availability of stretchers and beds outside each OR.
- Assists in positioning and preparation of patient for surgery, as directed.Holds extremity in proper anatomical position during prep.
- Monitors each case to ensure infection control measures and sterilization standards are adhered to
Uses appropriate aseptic techniques and surgical terminology.
Inspects sterile-package integrity and recognizes signs of package contamination
Maintains a 'surgical conscience' and initiates corrective action when breaks in technique occur; communicates the same
Inspects sterile packages for expiration dates prior to opening on the sterile field
Maintains sterility of item while opening onto the sterile field.
Adheres to safety and infection control policies; demonstrates knowledge and skills in waste disposal and standard precautions.
- Transports and monitors patient for changes in condition and reports changes to the RN
Operates transport equipment using safe techniques
Confirms patient's identity according to hospital policy
Assists team with the safe transfer of patients to and from patient units and within all areas of Surgical Services
Announces patient's arrival to RN and reports events during transport
Maintains traffic patterns and unobstructed corridors according to policy.
- Cleans and disinfects operating room and perioperative areas Strips and makes beds, OR tables and stretchers Disposes of all soiled materials and fluids Cleans and disinfects surfaces, floors, lights and all equipment.
- Changes filters and tanks ensuring all cords and connectors are assembled properly
- Reprocesses instruments and equipment according to established guidelines Follows appropriate technique for the handling of specialty instruments and scopes.Performs testing of and maintains records for a variety of equipment within perioperative area.
- Performs housekeeping functions, including but not limited to, cleaning corridors and ancillary rooms and emptying trash and linen.
- Takes inventory of department supplies and emergency case carts.Acquires, stocks, and delivers supplies, laundry, and equipment in a timely and efficiently, using supplies judiciously and in a cost-effective manner
- Attends codes and/or emergencies in all areas
Performs related duties, as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
Must successfully complete LIJMC's training program.
Heart Saver Certification, preferred.
Prior related experience working in a hospital environment, required.
Ability to communicate effectively, and follow written and/or oral instructions.
Ability to be well organized and work under high pressure, required.
- Northwell Health Jobs