Sinclair Broadcast Group Director of Operations in Phoenix, Arizona
Bally Sports Arizona is seeking a Director of Operations to join their Phoenix, AZ based production department. This is a critical management role, responsible for all operational and technical aspects for the production department for the network that produces more than 300 remote events, shows, and original content projects on a yearly basis. The Director of Operations oversees booking of all remote production facilities, equipment, technical crews, and transmission for every scheduled event, and works closely with the Executive Producer and Accounting department on forecasting, tracking and reconciling the annual production department budget.Duties include processing payroll and expenses for freelance personnel and all vendor invoices (truck, crew, equipment, transmission, facility fees, etc.). The Director of Operations also creates and updates Production Summary Reports to accurately detail all line item costs. Additional responsibilities include oversight of coordination with team and facility personnel and the creation of Remote Production Books for all events. This position regularly interfaces with other Bally Sports RSNs regarding sharing best practices, elements, equipment and personnel. The position reports to the Executive Producer.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Schedule remote production trucks, facilities, equipment, technical crews and transmission for all remote events.
- Maintain and distribute the weekly Production Personnel Schedule (including information about event time and location, network, assigned production personnel, vendor and crew contacts, truck assignments, Dual/HD schedules and accounting codes).
- Forecast, track and reconcile annual production department budget, in conjunction with the Executive Producer and Accounting Department. Process payroll and expenses for freelance personnel and all vendor invoices (including truck, crew, equipment, transmission, facility fees). Create and updates Production Summary Reports to detail all line item costs.
- Investigate new industry developments to keep the networks fully up to date with the latest equipment and technology available, with the goal of maintaining cutting edge presentation and workflow efficiency. The Director of Operations must have a demonstrated understanding of cutting-edge aesthetics of live television presentations.
- Daily follow up on event Producer/Director reports to address technical, crew, or venue concerns. Work with Production Engineering department on prompt attention to all technical issues, providing follow up communication to production teams on timelines for resolution.
- Travel to remote events to act as on-site liaison with venue, vendor and production personnel.
- Create, distribute and enforce all company policies (travel, invoicing, expense, etc.)
- Coordinate all 3rd party equipment delivery and maintain inventory of all the networks production equipment sent and used at remote venues.
- Manage and train the Production Operations Coordinator.
- Minimum 5 years experience in live event production, studio production and technical operations is required. Familiarity with remote production facilities and studio facilities is also necessary.
- Experience working with production budgets is required.
- Good interpersonal skills and a proven ability to lead and manage a team is necessary.
- The ability to multi-task and work effectively in a fast-paced environment is essential.
- Strong organizational, time management and project management skills are also required. The ability to work under pressure independently is required.
- Knowledge of live television production environments, including the ability to work flexible hours is necessary.
- Occasionally required to bend and lift up to 30 pounds, when transporting equipment. Must be able to drive a car. Must be willing to travel and attend live sporting events.
- Knowledge of and passion for NBA basketball, NHL hockey & Major League Baseball is required.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and Outlook is needed.
- This position works primarily in a professional office setting, and also will often work in a remote production unit.