Northwell Health First Cook (PV) in Plainview, New York
Req Number 10303
Assists Chef with planning and preparation of foods for patients, cafeteria, Deli and special catering functions. Prepares main entrée items according to standard recipes for patients and employees.
- Prepares main entrée items for patients and employees.Ensures daily meals are prepared and allocated to respective areas for distribution according to scheduled times.
- Prepares food items according to standardized recipes.Follows planned menus and obtains ingredients, supplies, utensils and equipment for preparing meals.Ensures frozen ingredients are prepared according to appropriate defrosting procedures.
- Assists Chef with menu planning, testing new recipes, as well as menu and diet changes.
- Utilizes a variety of kitchen utensils and equipment such as blenders, steamers, mixers, grinders, slicers, etc.Reports any malfunctioning equipment to supervisor.
- Inspects, smells and/or tastes food for quality and palatability.
- Provides guidance and assistance to Second and Third Cooks (Cooks Helpers).
- Participates in food preparation for catered events.
- Complies with sanitation, safety and fire regulations of the Hospital and Food Service department.Cleans respective work areas and equipment.
Performs related duties, as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
High School Diploma or equivalent, required. Formal Culinary Arts training, preferred.
Minimum of five (5) years food preparation experience, required. Experience in an institutional or hospital setting, preferred.
Ability to communicate effectively and follow instructions.
- Northwell Health Jobs