Sutter Health Medical Assistant - Surgery Center - San Jose in San Jose, California
PAMF-Palo Alto Medical Foundation PAD
Provides clinical and clerical support to providers and members of the patient care team(s) by performing a variety of back office and patient-related tasks supporting the delivery of high-quality patient care. Helps ensure smooth patient and workflow within the department and assists the patient care team in implementing the medical plan of care. Integrates education, technical competence, and patient interaction skills to gain confidence and cooperation from the patient, their family/support group, and other healthcare providers. Performs all duties under the direction of a clinician.
Job Description :
These Principal Accountabilities, Requirements and Qualifications are not exhaustive, but are merely the most descriptive of the current job. Management reserves the right to revise the job description or require that other tasks be performed when the circumstances of the job change (for example, emergencies, staff changes, workload, or technical development).
• Manages rooming and patient flow by preparing and escorting patients to examination rooms.
• Provides clinical support and patient care by obtaining appropriate identification and medical information from the patient and/or their family/support team.
• Performs vital signs, tests and collects/prepares specimens according to clinician orders.
• Supports physicians and patient care team to perform medical procedures and patient examinations by preparing the room, equipment, instruments and/or supplies appropriate for the exam/procedure.
• Administers treatments, injections, and skin tests, and collects patient specimens as directed by a physician.
• Maintains equipment and understands procedures and treatments performed by clinicians.
• Mentors and fosters a constructive learning environment that helps students and new staff build confidence in their skills, knowledge, and abilities.
• Performs general clerical tasks: answers phones and relates messages as appropriate; retrieves, enters, updates and transcribes patient data in the electronic health record system (eHR); reviews and revises patient appointments.
• Prepares and completes accurate documentation related to patient care, including healthcare activities, administration of medications and communication with patients.
• Ensures that routine and priority tasks are completed within established departmental time frames.
• Maintains a clean, neat, and safe working environment, including cleaning and disinfecting equipment and exams rooms after each visit.
• Inspects and calibrates equipment accordingly for proper operation and records the quality control (QC) results, reporting any malfunctions to the supervisor.
• Maintains strictest confidence of all patient protected health information (PHI) and protects all PHI from accidental, intentional, or inappropriate disclosure.
• Performs quality care in compliance with department standards, policies, and procedures, as well as local, state and federal regulatory agencies to deliver the highest level of patient privacy and care.
• Prepares, administers, and documents medications and treatments in accordance with state and federal regulations.
HS Diploma: High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
Other: Completion of a course of study consistent with the requirements for Medical Assistants as specified by the Medical Board of California.
OR Other: Equivalent Sutter Health training program.
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE:
- BLS-Basic Life Support Healthcare Provider
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
General knowledge of various medical procedures, views, and equipment.
Basic understanding of human anatomy, physiology, pathology, and medical terminology.
Competent and validated in basic Medical Assisting skills such as taking vital signs, preparing patients for exam, and administering injections.
Ability to interpret a variety of data and instructions, furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Possess written and verbal communications skills to explain sensitive information clearly and professionally to diverse audiences, including non-medical people.
Well-developed time management and organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize assignments and work within standardized operating procedures and scientific methods to achieve objectives and meet deadline.
General knowledge of computer applications, such as Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel and Outlook).
Prioritize assignments and work within standardized policies, procedures, and scientific methods to achieve objectives and meet deadlines.
Work independently, as well as be part of the team, including accomplishing multiple tasks in an environment with interruptions.
Identify, evaluate and resolve standard problems by selecting appropriate solutions from established options.
Build collaborative relationships with peers and other healthcare providers to achieve departmental and corporate objectives.
Pay Range: $28.55-$35.68
The salary range for this role may vary above or below the posted range as determined by location. This range has not been adjusted for any specific geographic differential applicable by area where the position may be filled. Compensation takes into account several factors including but not limited to a candidate’s experience, education, skills, licensure and certifications, department equity, training and organizational needs. Base pay is just one piece of the total rewards program offered by Sutter Health. Eligible roles also qualify for a comprehensive benefits package.
Days of the Week:
Friday, Monday, Thursday, Tuesday, Wednesday
Number of Openings:
This position may regularly work, store, prepare, receive, unpack, transport, dispose of, or administer drug(s) identified as hazardous, or potentially hazardous, by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) for purposes of USP 800.
Sutter Health is an equal opportunity employer EOE/M/F/Disability/Veterans.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, registered domestic partner status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, national origin (including possession of a driver's license issued to individuals who did not present proof of authorized presence in the U.S.), age, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military or protected veteran status, political affiliation, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical condition, genetic information or any other characteristic made unlawful by local, state, or federal law, ordinance or regulation. External hires must pass a background check/drug screening. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state, and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
- Sutter Health Jobs