Northwell Health Medical Assistant TEMP in Staten Island, New York
Req Number 52035
Improve quality, treat and support patients and family members in a caring professional manner and fulfill the hospital's mission to serve our patients and their families by assisting the clinical provider with the health care needs of the patient to assure efficient, personalized service to all patients and families.
- Administers direct patient care under direct supervision.
Checks pulse, temperature, blood pressure, weight, height, length, and pain level and documents same.Measures head circumference and plots measurements on growth charts for Pediatric patients when appropriate.
Performs EKG testing.
Performs venipuncture using appropriate equipment and blood specimen tubes.
Performs vision screenings.
Performs hearing screenings.
Performs Point of Service Testing (e.g urinalysis (dipstick), urine pregnancy, glucose, and rapid strep test).
- Assures that the exam rooms are clean and stocked and that all equipment is clean and in good working order, reporting all necessary repairs to the supervisor and documenting in the Equipment Maintenance Log.
Prepares treatment rooms for examination of patients.
Checks inventory and replaces supplies and equipment daily.
Cleans all instruments and prepares trays for sterilization as per Infection Control policy.
- Performs other varied clerical tasks
Registers patients, verifies insurance, and enters demographic data into computer systems.
Obtains and files ancillary test results and checking charts for completeness.
Enters provider orders into the computer and prepares any necessary referral forms and vouchers for patients.
Pulls medical record, analyzes chart and prepares provider forms for documentation.
Maintains patient information including medical records in secure confidential environment.
Completes authorizations, pre-certifications and schedules surgery as directed by provider.
Contacts patients in manner directed by provider to reschedule missed appointment.
Completes all non-clinical information on patient administrative forms and gives to provider for completion and signature.
Maintains ancillary testing and consult logs and follows-up in a timely manner.Reports non-compliant patients to provider.
- Assists patients in undressing/dressing, assisting patients on and off examining table, etc.Drapes patient when appropriate.
- Maintains Universal Precautions: washes hands before and after caring for each patient and follows infection control procedures and isolation techniques.
- Assists the provider with the exam assuring that instruments and equipment are available.
Alerts the provider or supervisor to possible issues of abuse or emotional needs.
Documents the patient's chief complaint in the progress note.
Gives patient educational and prevention materials as directed by the provider or nurse.
- Prepares PAP, GC, Chlamydia and other specimens for processing by the Laboratory, when necessary.
- Maintains Communicable Disease Reporting Log.
- Relates to patients in a manner appropriate for their age, level of understanding and culture.Seeks an interpreter for non-English speaking and deaf patients.
- Reconciles vaccine deliverers and reconciliation, as needed.
- Participates in staff meetings, in-services, and annual mandatory education.
Performs related duties as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
Requires periods of standing with frequent periods of walking to retrieve patients, Assist providers, order supplies
Requires periods of inputting patient data into computer
Requires frequent verbal communication with patients, staff, and physicians through personal contact as well as via telephone
Requires occasional bending, lifting, and pushing to obtain and replace supplies and files.
High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
Minimum of six (6) month previous hospital patient care experience, required.
Successful completion of course in Medical Assisting from an accredited school, and Medical Assistant Certification (CMA), preferred.
The ability to speak, read, write and understand English.
Second language desirable.
- Northwell Health Jobs